Right now, I’m sitting at my computer trying to stay awake and it is nearly impossible. Jet lag can be a beast and I’ve got a major case of it. Coffee is not even touching it. You see, David and I just got back from a business trip that took us all the way to Paris. Yes, you read that right… Paris. As in France. We were there for their big Maison et Objet show and we had a wonderful time that I will be sharing more about in the near future.
For now, I want to share with you some of my favorite things in February.
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Cream with Sunscreen: This is something that I discovered through a fashion message board while I was in college. The girls in Europe and Canada swore by it and its magic ingredient, Mexoryl, which those of us in the US couldn’t get our paws on because the FDA hadn’t approved it (I should be clear that they hadn’t found anything wrong with it – in fact it has been approved in the EU since 1991 and they have much stricter rules – but there was a huge lobby by major US companies that sell sunscreen to keep Mexoryl off the shelves because they had nothing to compete with it). I picked some up on a trip to Hungary and was immediately hooked and immediately disheartened that I wasn’t going to be able to get it in the US without making a trip across the border. Thankfully, the FDA finally approved it (in limited usage) in 2006 and I’m able to get it here. Mexoryl aside, all La Roche-Posay products are worth looking into. They are awesome and I use this one in particular every single day. Unlike many other moisturizers with sunscreen, this doesn’t feel at all sticky and it absorbs well, making your skin feel wonderful.
- The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series: I know, I know. You’re probably asking yourself, “What are you? A prepubescent boy?” Well, no, I’m not. I am, however, a mother to boys. Studies have shown, and teachers have confirmed, that it can be difficult to get little boys interested in reading but my boys cannot put these books down. Well, technically only Big Guy can read, but he has been reading these to Little Man and neither one of them can get enough of Greg Heffley’s middle school adventures. They are also completely addicted to the movies.
- Band Aid Advanced Healing Blister: Where have these been all of my life? I have no idea how long these have actually been around but I found them a couple of years ago and they are a life changer. I am what you might call a shoe girl. I love, love, love my shoes but not all of my shoes love me back. That is where these babies come in. These work well both preventing blisters and healing/protecting blisters you already have. I never leave home without them and I’ve sold countless family and friends on them. We were walking 10+ miles every day when we were in Paris and I did not get a single blister despite the fact that I was wearing brand new boots. These are the best.
- Mama Chia Vitality Beverages: I first discovered these drinks years ago in my local Whole Foods and they were a bit pricey but I thought they were worth it for an occasional treat, especially considering all of the health benefits of consuming chia seeds. Now I’m able to buy huge bottles at Costco for a fraction of the price so my occasional treat has turned into an almost daily snack. The kids love it and with its 2500mg of Omega-3s, 95 mg calcium and 4 grams of protein per serving I don’t feel guilty allowing them to indulge.
- Snail Wineglass Label: I had these on my Pinterest wish list for ages and my sister-in-law got them for me for Christmas. I am seriously in love. I don’t drink a lot of wine, but I do drink a lot of tea and these come in super handy for keeping your tea bag in place while your Oolong or Ceylon is brewing. Plus, they’re adorable. Who doesn’t love a fake snail, especially when it’s pastel?