I love the fall. I know autumn doesn’t officially begin until the end of the month, but as soon as I flip my calendar over to September, I can almost feel the seasons changing. The smell of pumpkin spice lattes is in the air and people of all ages have dusted off their football jerseys to show support for their favorite teams (Go Broncos!). So, since it’s (almost) fall, here are a few of the things I love for September.
1. Hart of Dixie – I am totally late jumping on the Hart of Dixie bandwagon, but I finally understand what all the fuss is about. I just recently discovered this little gem on Netflix and I am slowly catching up on everything I’ve missed. It is a classic fish out of water tale about Zoe Hart, a New York doctor trying to forge a new life for herself in the “Heart of Dixie,” aka Alabama. It is actually very reminiscent of the 90s hit show Northern Exposure. The first couple of episodes were a little bit campy, but as the show has progressed, the characters have become more and more three-dimensional. I am completely hooked.
2. The Honest Company Shampoo & Body Wash – I have been following the Honest Company since it first hit the market. One of their founders, Christopher Gavigan wrote the fantastic book Healthy Child Healthy World (their other founder is actress Jessica Alba who also wrote a great book – The Honest Life). I love that they use environmentally friendly (not to mention people friendly) ingredients in all of their products. Everyone in our little family has sensitive skin so I am very careful about all of the lotions, soaps and shampoos that I buy for the boys. The Honest Company Shampoo & Body Wash gets the kids clean while still being gentle on their skin. The fact that it smells great is an added bonus.
3. How To Be A Lady by Alexandra Parsons: I am quite partial to etiquette books (and manners in general). One of the first books I bought for my children was Manners Can Be Fun (followed shortly by How to Behave and Why and How to Speak Politely and Why). I have read all the experts from Emily Post to Miss Manners to Debrett’s and I cannot seem to pass up a new book on the subject no matter how hard I try. There are a lot of great etiquette books out there and even more that are subpar. This one is definitely belongs to the former category. It is a wonderful concise handbook for young women (and men) everywhere. It may not be as comprehensive as Miss Manners or Debrett’s but with its whimsical illustrations (you can see some on the publisher’s website) and concise guidance it is much less daunting to read.
4. Mighty Leaf Tea Marrakesh Mint: Years ago I discovered Moroccan Mint Tea Lattes at one of my favorite coffee shops and ever since I have been making my own at home. You simply brew a strong cup of Moroccan Mint green tea, add milk and stir in a spoonful (or two) of your favorite hot chocolate mix. It is a delicious fall pick-me-up and I probably drink them far more often than I should. I have professed my love for Mighty Leaf Tea in the past in this post and I think that their Marrakesh Mint tea is absolutely perfect for my tea latte. I can’t get enough of it!
5. Santa Barbara Bar: So many first-rate products have come out of Santa Barbara and Santa Barbara Bars are no exception. I’m always on the lookout for healthy options for when I’m on the run and these Coconut Almond Santa Barbara Bars have become my go-to snack. They are certified gluten free, non-GMO and contain no refined sugars. Not only that, they are packed with 8 grams of protein, so you won’t get hungry within two minutes of eating them. Most importantly though, they are delicious and I honestly feel like I’m eating a treat every time I have one.