Long story short, I don’t think I have a single pair of pants that fits properly anymore! I was going to wait until New Year’s Day to restart my healthy eating (like every other year), but with the damage I was able to do in such a short period of time, I decided that it was better to start sooner rather than later. It would have been best if I had started last week, but there is nothing I can do about that now.
While I still consider crab salad a treat (and not a “diet” food) it is much lighter than what we have been eating lately. Plus, I like to use Vegenaise, which is much healthier than conventional mayonnaise. David makes fun of my love of Vegenaise because I even use it in my egg salad. “You do know that it is a lack of eggs is what makes Vegenaise vegan, don’t you?” he likes to chide. I do know, but I like the way Vegenaise tastes better than mayonnaise. Anyway, this recipe is simple and it is quite a crowd pleaser. I like to serve it on black sesame rice crackers, on a bed of lettuce or just by itself.
- 2 cups cooked lump crab meat
- ¼ cup Vegenaise (I usually use the organic)
- 3 mini peppers, chopped (I generally use red, yellow and orange)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ onion (red or yellow), chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin seed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (Meyer lemons are my favorite)
- Cayenne pepper, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients, except cayenne pepper, in a large bowl.
- Mix well and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with cayenne pepper.